I wonder how much we miss hearing God because we are not paying attention, life circumstances get in the way, or we are not in a healthy relationship with God. Join Gary & Jane as they share various heart and mind attitudes where we can easily miss hearing God. As always, they share engaging personal examples of times when they have heard God and stepped out in obedience.
First Principle: When we are not in a healthy relationship with God.
- Sin or disobedience in our life.
- Haven’t obeyed quickly.
- g. Abraham in Genesis 22
- Darren Wilson’s ‘Finger of God’ movie and how that impacted Gary.
- Example of Gary driving 5 hours to stand outside the P.O. because God told him to.
- Other times e.g. unforgiveness, unbelief in hearing God, not actively listening.
- Inner vows and prayer to break an inner vow.
- Contrasted with Samuel in 1 Samuel 3:1-4 re positioning.
Second Principle – Busy or distracted, not paying attention.
- Mind crowded with life’s worries and distractions.
- Luke 8:5-15 – seed fell among thorns, choked with life’s worries.
- I wonder how much we miss hearing God because we are not paying attention.
- Moses in Exodus 3 – investigated the ‘strange’ sight. He saw something unusual and paid attention.
Third Principle – Life circumstances get in the way.
- False expectations – expect God to act in a certain way and then get disappointed.
- Looking for something different so don’t recognise it e.g. 1 Kings 19:11-12
- Grieving e.g. Disciples on the road to Emmaus and Moses in Numbers 20.
- Times of celebrating.
- Focused on wanting a particular answer.
- Storms in life, e.g. the disciples in Mark 6:30-52 and John 6:1-21.
- Peaceful times in life when everything is ‘easy’.
- Immediately after a miracle in the Bible, the people often didn’t recognise God.
- A call to position ourselves, expect God to speak, and posture our hearts towards God.
Turn your heart and thoughts to Father God and ask Him:
- Father God, is there a time when I especially miss hearing You?
- When is that?
- What do I need to know about those times?
- What do I need to change or be aware of?
- Father God, what would You like me to know about those times?
[0:36] – Gary & Jane share briefly how they have heard God this week.
[5:31] – First Principle – Not in a healthy relationship with God.
[6:33] – Example of Gary driving 5 hours to obey God.
[11:18] – Other times when our heart may not be right with God.
[14:07] – Second Principle – Busy or distracted.
[17:13] – Third Principle – Life circumstances get in the way.
[21:02] – Recap the principles.
[22:05] – Prophetic activation.
[23:10] – Gary & Jane both share a prophetic word for a listener.
[25:12] – Gary prays for you.
Resources / Links Mentioned:
- Website: https://garyandjane.co
- Eric Lidell – ‘Chariots of Fire’ movie. https://ericliddell.org/
- Darren Wilson ‘Finger of God’ movie – https://www.wpfilm.com/finger-of-god/
- Episode 1 – https://garyandjane.co/god-wants-to-communicate-with-us/
- Episode 21 – https://garyandjane.co/episode-21-hearing-god-when-god-is-silent/
- Episode 22 – https://garyandjane.co/episode-22-hearing-god-through-our-dreams-part-1/
- Episode 23 – https://garyandjane.co/episode-23-hearing-god-through-our-dreams-part-2/
- Episode 24 – https://garyandjane.co/hearing-god-through-our-dreams-part-3/
Bible Verses Mentioned:
- Numbers 20
- Numbers 17
- Genesis 22
- Genesis 12
- 1 Samuel 3:1-4
- Luke 8:5-15
- Exodus 3
- 1 Kings 19:11-12
- Luke 24:13-35
- Mark 6:30-52
- John 6:1-21
- Isaiah 43:19
Connect with Gary & Jane:
- Visit the Hearing God podcast website https://garyandjane.co
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100092429006234
- Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/hearinggodpodcast/
Support the show:
- Share this podcast with someone who would value hearing from God.
- Subscribe and leave a rating + review on your favourite podcast listening app.
- If God is leading your heart to donate or support the show in any way, please visit https://buymeacoffee/garyandjanM Thank you so much.