Prophesying is hearing God’s heart for others. It is exciting, rewarding, and a privilege, but it also carries the weight of responsibility. In this episode of Hearing God, we unpack guidelines for prophesying safely. We also cover important principles for prophesying over children. The outcome is that we can release the Father’s heart in a way that keeps everyone safe and reflects God accurately. As usual, Gary and Jane share numerous practical examples.
- A Prophetic word is encouraging, comforting & strengthening. 1 Corinthians 14:3
- HEART protocol – God’s heart for the person. Encouraging / comforting / strengthening. Appropriate permission / touch / language / tone / timing. Record the prophetic word. Together in community.
- What to do with a negative prophetic word.
- Communicate God’s heart for the person.
- 1 Corinthians 13:2
- Prophecy is both the impartation of God’s Spirit and His message.
- Accurately re-present God.
- Chase healing for myself.
- Ask, “why am I wanting to give a prophetic word to that person?”
- We want to make God look great, not ourselves.
- Prophecy is an invitation, so avoid putting demands on the person by using ‘should’.
- Everyone has the ability to hear from God and to prophesy. Joel 2:28-29.
- Prophesying identity – Judges 6 – the angel with Gideon.
- Keep people safe.
- Accountability is important.
- Always record the prophetic word.
- It is important for the receiver to judge the prophecy – 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21.
- Never presume.
- Always ask permission.
- Use ‘clean’ language, not ‘God says’. 1 Corinthians 13:9.
- If you make a mess, clean it up and apologise.
- Guidelines/principles for prophesying over children.
- A prophetic word should not take the place of hearing God for yourself. Rather, it often confirms what God has already revealed to you.
- Just because we have a prophetic word, it doesn’t mean it will come true. We need to partner with God to see it come to fruition.
- Prophecy always agrees with the Bible. It never contradicts Scripture.
Ask God, “Jesus, what mode of transport do you see me as, and why?” Ask God more questions eg fuel, colour, size, what it carries, the purpose etc.
[0:53] – First Principle – 1 Corinthians 14:3 – encouraging, comforting, strengthening.
[1:48] – HEART protocol.
[4:13] – Second Principle – communicating God’s heart for the person.
[4:56] – We want to make God look great, not ourselves.
[6:07] – Everyone can communicate with God – Joel 2:28-29.
[6:41] – Prophesying clear identity statements eg The angel to Gideon from Judges 6.
[8:44] – Jane shares a time when she was becoming judgemental.
[10:01] – Third Principle – keep everyone safe.
[16:50] – Jane shares guidelines for prophesying over children.
[21:22] – Prophetic Activation.
[22:08] – Prophetic word for a listener.
[23:59] – Gary prays for you.
Resources / Links Mentioned:
- Episode 5 – https://garyandjane.co/episode-5-what-should-a-prophetic-word-do/
- Episode 6 – https://garyandjane.co/episode-6-what-if-i-hear-something-negative-about-someone/
Bible Verses Mentioned:
- 1 Corinthians 14:3
- 1 Corinthians 13:9
- 1 Corinthians 13:2
- Joel 2:28-29
- Judges 6
- 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21
- Romans 12:6
Connect with Gary & Jane:
Support the show:
- Share this podcast with someone who would value hearing from God.
- Subscribe and leave a rating + review on your favourite podcast listening app.
- If God is leading your heart to donate or support the show in any way, please visit https://buymeacoffee/garyandjanM Thank you so much.